Favorite words

We have been doing a lot of vocabulary studying lately around here.  SSATs and ISEEs will do that to you.  There’s a lot about standardized tests I do not love, but any discussion of vocabulary and words I flat-out do.

Last weekend, we had a couple of hours in the car as a foursome.  We were talking about words, and it led into a discussion of our favorite words.  First of all, let me say that talking about words with my three favorite people in the world was fantastic.  I actually think this is a great conversation starter (but maybe that only reveals my deeply nerdy personality).  I was interested to hear Grace, Whit, and Matt’s favorite words, and also to think about mine.  It’s impossible for me to pick one.  But, here they are:

Grace: onomatopoeia (long discussion ensued of buzz, and fizz, and of how one of my words is in fact also an onomatopoeia)

Whit: terminate

Matt: penultimate

Lindsey: shimmer, elegy, archipelago, phosphorescence

What is your favorite word? Why?

1. Hilary Mead
    Posted December 12, 2016 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Cornucopia, of course.

I prefer to spell it phonetically: cornup-sha

2. Posted December 12, 2016 at 8:15 am | Permalink

serendipity

3. Posted December 12, 2016 at 9:12 am | Permalink

I’m rather fond of discombobulated, serendipity, and numinous.

4. mia
    Posted December 12, 2016 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I’m a fan of sentient and hallelujah. And have always loved serendipity.

5. Posted December 12, 2016 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I love serendipity, peripatetic, trenchant and luminous.

6. Posted December 12, 2016 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Oooh I never thought of the “fun” (for those of us not taking the test) of reviewing some of those words!

7. Amy
    Posted December 12, 2016 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I’m a big fan of onomatopoeia, like Grace, (although I never would have spelled it right!) But instead of piggy backing on her word, I’ll mention other favorites. This one I adopted as a favorite while living in the U.K. It’s BLIMEY (used to express surprise, excitement or alarm). A close third is PALAVER (fuss or commotion) also more commonly used in the U.K.

8. Bev
    Posted December 12, 2016 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I’m a fan of “discombobulated”. It sounds like what it means and who doesn’t love saying it? I also love “ubiquitous” but I really have no reason why. I just do. 🙂

9. Posted December 12, 2016 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

What a fun question! I can still picture the brown Worldly Wise book in 5th book that held the word ‘contraband.’ The second I saw it, I decided I wanted to be in a band and call it ‘Contraband.’ Mind you, I did not sing or play an instrument so I think in my mind, this was going to be a word band 🙂

10. Posted December 12, 2016 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Elysium. Who wouldn’t love “a place or state of perfect happiness?”

11. Posted December 12, 2016 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

just thought of another one:
    petrichor (the smell of rain)

12. Posted December 13, 2016 at 5:04 am | Permalink

serendipity because it does not exist in my mother language!