Things I Love Lately

Drama Queens – this excerpt from Lisa Damour’s upcoming book, Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood, really spoke to me.  It was fortuitous timing – and a loud message from the universe – when my friend Lisa Heffernan sent me an ARC of the book just a couple of days later.  I can’t wait to read it.

On Life and the Pathway to Joy – this piece by Tina Bustamante is just gorgeous.  So much I can relate to, even though some of the particulars are different.  “Life is filled with beauty and wonder and grandeur and also overwhelming loss.”  Yes. Tina points out that things happen that we don’t recover from, and asserts that there’s a certain power and loveliness in moving forward anyway.  I thought of Anne Lamott’s famous quote about learning to dance with the limp.  Truth.

Boys Have Deep Emotional Lives – I loved this Atlantic interview with Rosalind Wiseman, who has just published a book about boys, Masterminds and Wingmen (her Queen Bees and Wannabes was hugely influential, for good reason).

Katie Den Ouden – I’ve written before about Katie Den Ouden, and of how much I adore her work.  She leads regular cleanses (my experience with them is here) as well as an annual Skinny Dip Society program.  Katie helps women make choices that support energetic, happy, full lives, and I am in full support of her mission of empowerment, liberation, and health.

IMG_9736

We’ve been baking and cooking, as befits the Boston winter.

Smitten Kitchen’s whole wheat goldfish crackers are a new obsession.  I make them in little squares, as you can see, not in teeny goldfish shapes (there is a limit to my craftiness) and they are delicious.  The adults in our house prefer when these are made with sharper cheddar, and the children prefer more mild.

IMG_9631

We also baked bread for the very first time successfully using Mark Bittman’s No-Knead Bread Recipe.  For full disclosure, this was our second attempt, and the first failed.  The only change we made was to bring the bread dough, while rising, into a warmer part of the house (the bowl sat on my desk overnight, not in the kitchen).  The bread was delicious, and the house smelled fantastic.  Highly recommend.

What are you reading, thinking about, and loving lately?

I write these things I love posts approximately monthly.  You can find them all here.

1. Melissa
    Posted February 17, 2016 at 3:32 am | Permalink

Ah, wonderful! I so appreciate your links on both girls and boys entering the rocky territory of adolescence. And the bread looks marvellous, too!

2. Nadine
    Posted February 17, 2016 at 7:56 am | Permalink

I could survive on bread alone, it’s got to be the German in me. This loaf makes my mouth water.
    I’m reading Fredrik Backman’s second novel, http://www.amazon.com/Grandmother-Asked-Tell-Shes-Sorry/dp/1501115065, which I found by chance but really love so far. A quirky and touching tale about love and loss, and being different. Also, I love a good story involving a grandmother.

3. Posted February 17, 2016 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Aidan’s book arrived yesterday, so I am savoring that right now. I also have When Breath Becomes Air, but I am only able to take small nibbles of that at a time.

We have a house full of sick kids, so those crackers as a baking project seem like a sweet (savory) thing to look forward to.

xo

4. Posted February 17, 2016 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Ah, I’m so grateful for you. I look forward to these lists from you and to be on one of them is such a lovely little surprise! xox

5. Posted February 17, 2016 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I love Katie, too! I’ve participated in the Skinny Dip Course and it was fantastic! I originally discovered her from your blog, years ago.

6. Posted February 17, 2016 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

All of it – yum!!

7. Posted February 21, 2016 at 8:49 am | Permalink

I can smell that yummy bread from here!

2 Trackbacks

1. By Stacey Loscalzo - This Week’s Favorite Reads on February 19, 2016 at 4:02 am

[…] cheating a bit on this one because I’m borrowing it from Lindsey’s awesome blog A Design So Vast. I’m thrilled that she directed me to the book that will be my next non-fiction read for […]

2. By Things I’ve Fallen In Love With Lately on February 24, 2016 at 1:15 pm

[…] while since I’ve been writing here at Sweet Jesilu, but the always-inspiring Lindsey Mead at A Design So Vast motivated me with her recent blog post: what have you fallen in love with […]