This is Adolescence

TIA logo

Last year, I was happy to participate in This is Childhood, the writing series that captured snapshots of each age, 1 to 10.  The series became a book, available now on Brain, Child (a great holiday gift!).  Now, I’m delighted to announce the launch of This is Adolescence, a series which takes off where This is Childhood ends.  This series is the brainchild of my friend, Allison Slater Tate, for whose company as I enter this next phase of motherhood I am deeply grateful.  My oldest child is 11, and hers is 12, and we communicate regularly about this moment’s particular joys and challenges.

Starting tomorrow, a writer will be sharing their reflections, personal and universal at the same time, on parenting children in adolescence.  I’m flattered (and nervous!) to be kicking us off with eleven.  The lineup of writers includes some of my personal favorites, and it is a distinct honor to join them.

Eleven – me
Twelve – Allison Slater Tate
Thirteen – Bethany Meyer
Fourteen – Catherine Newman
Fifteen – Jessica Lahey
Sixteen – Marcelle Soviero
Seventeen – Shannon Duffy
Eighteen – Lisa Heffernan

I hope you will enjoy this series as much as I know I will.

1. Posted October 21, 2014 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Very excited for this! This is Childhood, is how I discovered you. I have a thirteen year old (actually, two, but one is on the spectrum and it’s complicated), so I am excited (and anxious) to read about the coming years.

2. Posted October 21, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Excited to be part of another series with you!

3. MomofTwo
    Posted October 21, 2014 at 10:18 am | Permalink

So looking forward to This is Eleven (And This is Twelve…) Lindsey, I found you through This is Ten on Huffington Post and shared your beautiful essay with my friends. My eldest is also eleven but will be twelve in less than three weeks. Your writing really resonates with me. The post on friendship yesterday was so well timed. I have found friendship in my early 40s is sometimes complicated, much more so than I would have expected at this age. Your words reminded me that I need to look at my own actions before I question the actions of others. Thank you!

4. Posted October 21, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Oh!!! I can’t wait!

5. Posted October 21, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

What a great lineup!

6. Posted October 21, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

So excited and honored to be a part of this!!

3 Trackbacks

1. By This Is Adolescence: 12 | Allison Slater Tate on October 29, 2014 at 6:09 am

[…] This is the second installment in the This Is Adolescence series. Lindsey Mead wrote about the age of 11 here. […]

2. By Flutterby 10 | Flingo on December 3, 2014 at 11:52 pm

[…] description of her 16-year-old daughter is mesmerizing and terrifying all at once. It’s part of This is Adolescence, an essay series conceived by Lindsey Mead and Allison Slater Tate, that will be published in full […]

3. […] Blog posts and even books that mark moments or periods of time like, “This is Childhood,” “This is Adolescence,” and “This is 39.” They make time stand still by describing the real, raw aspects of the […]