Things I Love Lately

Glenda Burgess’ blog is a must-read for me, but this post, Permission, struck me even more than usual.  “We are done with life when we cease to engage with our dreams.”  Oh yes.  How true this is.

I can’t stop listening to A Life That’s Good by Lennon and Maisy.  So, so good.  Makes me cry every time.  Thank you to Katie Den Ouden for knowing that I would love it and for sending to me (is there anything better than an email from a friend that says “I thought you might like this”?)

Recently I started reading Happy Healthy Kids and the site is a trove of useful information.  Last week’s post on the best TV shows for older children was really wise and full of good suggestions (and resonated with my kids’ recent passion for Survivor).

It was Julia Fierro who pointed me to Last Night’s Reading, which I fell into headlong and in love with at once.  Kate Gavino’s marvelous illustrations are coupled with quotes from writers that I kept writing down.  “We are always becoming.  It never stops.” – Richard Blanco.  “It’s my job as a writer to pay attention.” – James McBride. “We write to inform ourselves of ourselves.” – Julia Fierro.

I just finished Jeffrey Eugenides’ The Marriage Plot, which I really enjoyed, and am now reading Marilynne Robinson’s Lila.  As expected, it is grave and beautiful, solemn and powerful.

I write these Things I Love posts approximately monthly.  You can find the full archive of them here.

1. Posted October 13, 2014 at 5:12 am | Permalink

I love your Things I Love Lately. I always find new things to love! The list of tv shows for older kids seems to be a gold mine. Can’t wait to explore! And I think I could spend hours of my life at Last Night’s Reading. Tumblr confuses me but this site might help me figure it out!

I found that site to be a total goldmine. xox

2. Posted October 13, 2014 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Ooh, thanks for the Happy Healthy Kids link. I was not aware of this site and it does indeed have some good common-sense information.

Lots of good stuff on there!

3. Posted October 13, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Love that song, too!

🙂 xox

4. Posted October 13, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

How have I not heard of the Stella Sisters yet? Wow. What a song! I might be buying myself a guitar just to pretend to be them.:)

Thanks for sharing your loves–I needed this today!

So glad it resonated. xoxo

5. Posted October 13, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Lila is on the way to Chile. Having someone send it with a family member coming to visit. Can’t wait.

Can’t wait to hear what you think!

6. Posted October 13, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Great list! I really enjoyed The Marriage Plot as well–though liked Middlesex better, truth be told. It’s funny about Lila. I had a weird sort of thing happen the other day that I posted on IG when I was re-reading a particular passage in Still Writing where she mentions Housekeeping, which I apparently own and didn’t realize…anyway, too long to get into here, but I’m happy that I now have Robinson’s Housekeeping in my TBR queue now and hope to get to her others at some point too.

Gilead may well be my all time favorite novel of all. She’s brilliant.

7. Posted October 14, 2014 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Loved the Permission post. That one really spoke to me today. Thanks for linking to it.
    xo

So wonderful, isn’t it? I’m a huge Glenda fan. xox

8. Posted October 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

What a great list! And I’ve loved that song on the show, but I hadn’t seen that video until you posted it here. Of course now I’ve had it on the background. Love it!!

I love it too!

9. Posted October 14, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I just opened half a dozen new tabs in my browser to the tune of A Life That’s Good. Thank you for this today!

I’m so happy to hear that! I am obsessed with the song.

10. Posted October 14, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

You share the loveliest things, Lindsey. Thank you.

One Trackback