Bleeding into mystery

55bbceec34f111e3b2dd22000ab5a8b0_8

A few weeks ago, I took Whit to his nine year pediatrician appointment.  As we waited to go in, I thought about the fact that it had been two full years since I wrote close to the surface after his seven year appointment.  Two full years and two minutes, simultaneously.

Whit and his pediatrician had a lengthy discussion about physics, the universe, how many dimensions there really are, relativity, and the potential for a quantum computer.  Incidentally, I love that Whit’s pediatrician casually quotes Richard Feynman in appointments with nine year olds.  This explains a lot of why Whit (who recently heard mention of Einstein and said, “I know Einstein!  He’s my favorite!”) so adores Dr. E.

I listened to them talking, and then watched as Dr. E listened to Whit’s invisible but extraordinary heart, and thought once again of the ways that at every edge science bleeds into mystery.  In the world of the intellect, both the tiniest things – electrons, spinning one way and the other and communicating mysteriously across light years – and the largest ones – the existence of multiple universes – bump up against that which we cannot fully grasp.

My father is a physicist who is fascinated with poetry, art, and Europe’s great cathedrals.  He understands this ineffable border, the slippage between logic and magic, the imperceptible and always-shifting line between what we can know and what we can’t grasp.  As I’ve written before, my father’s unshakeable faith in the rational mind is matched by his profound wonder at the power of the ineffable.  Who I am is indelibly shaped by having grown up in the space between those things.

At the outmost limits of science, where the world and its phenomena can be understood and categorized with equations and with right and wrong answers, there flits the existence of something less distinct, barely discernible. The finite and the infinite are not as distinct as we might think, and the way they bleed together enriches them both.

Whit reminds me of my father in many ways, most of all in the way he understands and esteems equally concrete math and science concepts and the most intangible notions, of memory and love and existence.  That he relates to the former is easily demonstrated by his fascination with the periodic table or his comfort with his math homework.  It is harder to explain how I know the latter to be true, but I do: now and then he will say or do something that evinces to me his familiarity with the shades-of-gray territory of the unknown that I myself walk so frequently.

Whit and I left the pediatrician’s office and walked back to the car.  He held my hand.  Even his hand, as solid as anything I know in the world, gripping mine back, contains that which is known and that which is not.  Blood beating through veins, bones, cartilage, and chewed fingernails, but also the pulse of life itself, the ultimate mystery.

1. Posted February 19, 2014 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Beautiful. I love that rational mind fascinated in cathedrals, poetry, and art. Wonderfully said, Lindsey!

I do too. xox

2. Posted February 19, 2014 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Poetry, here in your words today. I can almost feel that small hand in mine, and my heart swells. What a treasure that boy of yours is, and how blessed you are to share your life with him. xo

Blessed indeed. Unbelievably so.

3. Posted February 19, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Beautiful, the way you’ve connected your father and your son, the tangible and intangible, the known and unknown.

Thank you … and this email prompted me to go find my favorite picture of my son and my father, which I’ve now included. xoxo

4. Posted February 19, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

That picture is PERFECT!!!!

It’s one of my favorites! xox

5. Rachel C.
    Posted February 19, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous post-as usual Linds. xo

Thank you. xoxo (loved what you shared on twitter/FB today)

6. Posted February 19, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

How I love this post. You put into words so many things that I think about.

Thank you! I’m glad to know that you can relate. xox

7. Posted February 19, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Oh my. I just adore this.

thank you! xoxo

8. Posted February 20, 2014 at 6:00 am | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful, Lindsey. This is perhaps my favorite theme, the shade of grey I most like to ponder: that smudged line at once dividing and bleeding into logic and magic. (Whit sounds like a dream.)
    xo

He is intermittently a dream and a nightmare! 🙂 xoxo

9. Posted February 20, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Love this post. I’ve always enjoyed being held captive to the mystery of things. I don’t want to figure out magic tricks and I’d prefer not to know how the internet really works 🙂 I believe that both science and faith are important, and that one cannot outweigh the other.

10. Posted March 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe it’s been 2 years since you wrote that post. Wow. He is such a magical little boy. I am so glad he is enjoying Charles Wallace. They seem so similar in the way they see the world.