Thirteen years

M&L

Today we’ve been married thirteen years.  Thirteen feels both not at all new and not yet very old.  In the middle.  Just like everything else right now, it seems: we are in life’s rich, heavy, wonderful middle, which can be dark and disorienting but which is also shot through with dazzling, startling joys.

This photograph was taken in 1998, during the first summer that Matt and I knew each other.  I was 23 and he was 28.  It seems a lifetime ago.   We are standing in the same place that we celebrated our wedding two years later.  There are storm clouds on the horizon, but we’re laughing.  This feels like a harbinger both of our wedding and of life in general.  Our wedding day dawned beautifully clear and sunny, but by the mid-afternoon clouds had begun to gather.  By the time my bridesmaids, mother, and I walked from our house to the church we were hurrying to get there before it rained.  By the time we were standing at the altar it was thundering so loudly that at one point we had to stop and wait for the noise to stop.  Matt and I walked to the yacht club under a bright red umbrella, and most of our guests rode the one-block distance on school buses.  And then, later, it cleared into a glorious night, full of the crystalline, beautiful skies and dry, tinged-with-cool air that always seem to follow a storm.

I couldn’t have scripted better weather for that day.  I know now, fifteen years after this picture was taken, thirteen years into marriage.  Storms roll in, boats heave in the waves, sometimes you have to pause to let the thunder and lightning take center stage.  And then beautiful weather washes in, and an abiding calm.

We were married by a minister who was very familiar to me and beloved of my maternal grandparents.  It was an honor to have someone who knew both the two of us and my family perform such an essential and important act.  In his sermon, he honored my grandmother who had recently died (I think the thunder may have been her telling us she was there, though she was not a thunderous person) and celebrated the spirit of adventure that had marked our early days together.  But, he exhorted of marriage, “Kilimanjaro is nothing compared to this.”  And how right he was.  It’s been steeper and more difficult than I imagined, the landscape more variable and sometimes treacherous, the nights shorter and the hours longer.  But I wouldn’t want anyone else climbing next to me.  And the views are far more breathtaking.

Happy thirteen years, Matt.  I’m still amazed.

1. Posted September 9, 2013 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I love this , Lindsey. You captured what marriage is so beautifully here.
    Happy Anniversary to you both.

Thank you. xox

2. Posted September 9, 2013 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Happy anniversary :) What a beautiful tribute to marriage.

Thank you so much! xox

3. Posted September 9, 2013 at 6:47 am | Permalink

We have our 13th on Sept. 15! 13 feels like a weird number to me.

I love that picture! Happy anniversary!

I know – a weird number, I feel the same way. But I love that we’re so in sync with the anniversaries!!

4. Connie
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Happy 13 years! It’s almost impossible for me to comprehend that is has been 13 years. I remember that night vividly — thunder, the buses, your beautiful first dance together. And I remember standing in O’Hare airport on a payphone (do they still make those???) when I learned you were engaged. Cheers to you and Matt for many happy more years to come. xoxoxo

5. Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:05 am | Permalink

Lovely post! The image of the bride and groom under a bright red umbrella is so vivid, so cinematic.

We just marked 17 years on Saturday. Our wedding was unseasonably hot and sunny. Not sure where that would fall in the weather analogy, but it did mean the cake almost melted.

6. Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Keep rowing over those waves and through the storms to find those clear sunsets. Dan and I will celebrate our 32nd next week and every moment of turbulence is worth the calm on the other side. Blessings to you both.

7. Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Lovely tribute, Lindsey. And a perfect analogy. From now on, I’ll love thinking about the thunder as something you sometimes have to pause for, and let take center stage. Storms do make for a fuller and richer marriage, I think.

8. Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:34 am | Permalink

I just love this! Happy anniversary! And you’re so right: “sometimes you have to pause to let the thunder and lightning take center stage!” And then the sky clears. Beautiful!

9. Taline
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Lindsey – You don’t write about your marriage often, but I love it when you do. I envy what you describe and applaud you both on 13 years together. And, of course, I love the Kili reference!

10. Christine Barker
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Congratulations! 13 years so far and many more to go… from one whose been married to the same wonderful man for 38 years… it only gets better!

11. Christine Barker
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink

hmmm how do I change the pictogram… next to my name? I’m really not that grumpy! grin

12. Posted September 9, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Happy Anniversary! I love your analogies here. We just celebrated eight this year — a few more to get to where you are at. We can hardly believe it’s already been eight, though!

13. Posted September 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Marriage is all of that…treacherous, exhilirating, frustrating, and everything in between. Throw kids into the mix, and it becomes entirely new!

14. Posted September 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

This picture is gorgeous, Lindsey. You both look happy and young. We got married at Upstairs on the Square in Harvard Square by a Unitarian minister who told a similar story about marriage. At the time, part of me was thinking, “Yes, I know. Marriage can be hard. I get it.” We had been living together for two years at this point so I figured I understood what I needed to know. Not quite. Moving, new parenthood, family illness… Life throws curve balls, and it’s important to know in your heart that you’ll be through them as a family and as a couple.

15. Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Dear Lindsey, many on life’s journey do not gift their loved ones or themselves with a moment of elegant and deeply felt reflection as your words convey – a “life poem” on gratitude – for love, in love, blessed by love. To many more years together for you and Matt!

16. Gloria
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Actual tears reading this. I LOVE it. I feel that photo so captures the carefree spirit of being 23. You were the first to walk down the aisle, to have children, to weather the years in a marriage that inevitably come and have ups and downs – all before me. And I am so grateful for your wisdom on all of it.

17. Posted September 10, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

This made me cry. You describe marriage so well. Stormy and clear skies. Rain and then sun. I can see from this that you two have grown together over the past 15 years and that is a beautiful thing!!!

18. Posted September 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

So gorgeous. I love that your day was bookmarked with sun. What a perfect analogy for so much in life.

19. Posted September 11, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous. Nothing is ever as you can imagine it, is it? Not your wedding day, not marriage, not motherhood, not growing older. Nothing. It’s all different, harder. But if you pay attention… really make an effort to not just live through it, but live UP to it… the views are much more breathtaking than you could have imagined too.

Happy Anniversary. We’re on eight years and still, I am amazed.