My poetry shelf

photo

The living room repaint resulted in some joyful discoveries, some weeding-out, and a happy reunion with books I haven’t opened in a long time.  This is my poetry shelf.  It’s far from complete, but you can see Mary Oliver (lots and lots), Jane Kenyon, Jena Strong, Naomi Shihab Nye, Stanley Kunitz, Sharon Olds, Erica Jong, ee cummings, Ranier Maria Rilke, Maxine Kumin, Adrienne Rich, Anne Sexton, and Wallace Stevens.  Curiously, Wendell Berry is missing; I need to find out where his books ended up.  You can also see my much-loved and heavily-annotated Norton anthologies from college.  I think this is my favorite shelf.

1. Posted August 15, 2013 at 5:30 am | Permalink

I love this glance into your reading life. My husband got me a book of Maxine Kumin’s poetry for my last birthday. It’s been sitting on my shelf, but I think it’s about time that I finally dove in. Also, you have motivated me to gather all my poetry into one place!

Oh, yes! She’s a New Hampshire poet which you may relate to. She is one of the three poets on whom I wrote my senior thesis in college (along with Sexton and Rich) and so I am very familiar with her work. Wonderful.

2. Posted August 15, 2013 at 6:21 am | Permalink

Goodness- I wish I shared your love of poetry. I always hope I will grow in to it. I suppose there is still time 🙂

3. Posted August 15, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Love this shelf, and several of these poets.

4. Posted August 15, 2013 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Have more than several of those same books on my poetry shelf!

5. Posted August 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Love this… Pablo Neruda is my hands-down favorite, but I think you knew that. 😉

I love that you’re taking a break and sharing more photos and words for YOU, but selfishly, I miss your words and look forward to their return – to your return.

xoxo

6. Posted August 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I love this. We love so many of the same poets! And i now have some new ones. Thank you!!

7. Posted August 18, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Love your poetry shelf. I have Mary Oliver on mine.
    I was just reading her new collection last night.

You know, I went to my shelf to take a look at her book and realized that my copy of Wendell Berry is missing also! Maybe there’s a Wendell Berry book thief casing the area. 😉

8. Ari
    Posted August 22, 2013 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Rumi is missing! I am sure you like his poems.