10 Questions for Grace and Whit

IMG_0260

I loved Ali Edwards’ 10 Questions for Simon post a couple of weeks ago.  I decided to ask Grace and Whit the same 10 questions (well I changed one, #2, which was originally about Batman), and it feels apt to share their answers now because they are both at sleepaway camp.  This is Grace’s third summer, so I was expecting the tears (mine) and heart-rending goodbye (also mine).  It was the first time I left Whit at camp and … wow.  I miss them.

1. What is your favorite thing right now?

Whit: Legos
Grace: soccer and dogs

2. What food do you love most?  How about least?

Whit: most: mac & cheese and least: sweet potatoes
Grace: most: summer squash and least: fish

3. How do you feel about going into 3rd/5th grade in September?

Whit: I feel good about it.  I am excited to see my friends again.
Grace: I’m excited about it.  I’m looking forward to doing the Soul Cake and the play.

4. What are you thinking about the most during the day?

Whit: That’s a really hard one (and if his litany of random questions is representative, I can vouch for this).
Grace: Probably how lucky I am to have a family that loves me and takes care of me.

5. What’s on your summer wish list?

Whit: I want to make a lot of friends at camp and become good at swimming and archery.
Grace: To convince Daddy to get a dog.

6. What do you love most about summer?

Whit: I like the extra time away from people who are always crowding me at school.  I love Legoland and swimming.
Grace: Being able to be with my family a lot more, and having extra time to do things.  I love going to Marion with Nana and Poppy and swimming out to the raft.

7. What do you like to do with your brother/sister?

Whit: I like it when Grace plays with me, and sometimes I feel fortunate to have a sibling and sometimes I don’t feel that.
Grace: I like it when you’re out and I can tuck Whit into bed at night.  I like helping him with homework.

8. What does your brother/sister do that you don’t like?

Whit: It annoys me when she rejects playing with me.
Grace: It bugs me a lot when he wants to play with me and I want to just read by myself.

9. If you could travel anywhere right now where would you go?

Whit: Back to Legoland.
Grace: Paris.

10. What book are you reading right now?

Whit: Brixton Brothers #2.
Grace: The Bad Beginning, which is the first in the Lemony Snicket series.

1. Posted July 31, 2013 at 6:00 am | Permalink

I am totally doing this! What a great way to document where they are on a given day…. And now I’m totally envisioning a project where I do this like once a month and keep it in a binder…. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

Really love the idea of doing this regularly and thus having a record of how answers and preoccupations and passions change over time.

2. Posted July 31, 2013 at 6:14 am | Permalink

I am always amazed at how self-aware your children are. Also at their appreciation for their family and the blessings in their lives. I hope to instill the same in my kids as they get older.

I was pretty struck by Grace’s answer that suggests real gratitude – it made me proud 🙂

3. Posted July 31, 2013 at 6:16 am | Permalink

I so love this and am totally doing it too! I will link back to you. Happy Summer! xo

Can’t wait to see!

4. Kathie
    Posted July 31, 2013 at 6:24 am | Permalink

Love it! Doing this when kids get home!

Mike called to relay Whit’s wish that he wanted to extend his time – sadly we have a bunch of commitments for him next week so we can’t, but it made me smile 🙂

5. Posted July 31, 2013 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Lovely. And now I need to know what Soul Cake is, please!

It’s an annual performance around Thanksgiving that the 5th grade leads. I was in it myself years ago. I will find out more about what the name means.

6. Posted July 31, 2013 at 6:42 am | Permalink

What beautiful answers! We have a two year old daughter and a little boy in the way. I hope that someday they’ll have a similarly close relationship as your children sound like they do. I love that your daughter loves to tuck her little brother in at night. 🙂

Well, close, yes, but with plenty of tension and fighting too! 🙂 It is very sweet when she tucks him in, I have to admit.

7. Posted July 31, 2013 at 7:37 am | Permalink

The contrast between LegoLand and Paris made me laugh. Everyone’s idea of paradise is different, eh?

Indeed it is!

8. Posted July 31, 2013 at 8:19 am | Permalink

I’m new to your blog and this post is adorable. Comment #2 is spot on – your children’s answers are very thoughtful.

Thanks so much for reading! I’m glad to know you are here. xox

9. Christina
    Posted July 31, 2013 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Love this! I always knew your kids were amazing (and of course their parents), but this just confirms it! I might try this with Clara to see what she says…

I would love to hear her thoughts …

10. Posted July 31, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

I might be scared of some of my kids answers! I’m wondering what soul cake is……..

Soul Cake is annual assembly/song/dance around Thanksgiving that the 5th grade does … I was a part of it a thousand years ago, and now it’s Grace’s turn! 🙂

11. KathyS
    Posted July 31, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Grace is a girl after my own heart…. Paris and a dog! Good luck to her convincing Daddy!

She’s certainly working hard on her Dad … 🙂 xox

12. auntie_jenn
    Posted July 31, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

number 8 is classic! thanks for shaing…I’m going to encourage my mommy friends to do this.

13. Posted July 31, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

As so many people said already, I am definitely borrowing this! What a great post!

I look forward to hearing your girls’ thoughts! 🙂

14. Posted August 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

This is SO sweet. And if any of my children names summer squash as a good thing I will consider myself a HUGE success!!

15. Sherry
    Posted August 4, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

This is so special. My 7-yar-old would give this some serious thought, and my 3-year-old would eat the paper I’m writing on. Sigh…Anyway, my heart twinged when Whit said he liked the space away from the extra crowds at school. My older daughter communicates the same kinds of feelings…this reminds me to pay more attention to that. I’m really glad you shared this with us, thanks!

One Trackback

1. By Something Good | A Thousand Shades of Gray on August 5, 2013 at 9:47 am

[…] 10 Questions for Grace and Whit on A Design So Vast. This had me cracking up and crying. I hope Grace gets her […]