These obstacles were my life

For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin — real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.

This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.
So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

~ Alfred D’Souza

Though I knew this quote, I was reminded of it when I saw it recently on A First Sip.  Thank you, Claudia!  I’m reminded of my reflection, almost three years ago, that my real life has already begun.

1. Posted February 1, 2013 at 8:16 am | Permalink

I really love this one, and so “get” it. Especially this part: “There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.”

2. Posted February 1, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

After a year and a half of family illness and job losses (3 times) I really get “At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.” Those experiences taught me the same thing. I’ve stopped trying to make them go away and just ease into the experience. They ebb and flow much easier now. Thank you for posting.

3. Matt
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Love it. Trying to live this.

4. Posted February 2, 2013 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Thank you for the reminder. So true.

5. Posted February 3, 2013 at 8:04 am | Permalink

I think most of us do this: wait for some Thing to be taken care of before we are happy. I have a quote at work right on my desk about it to remind me. I am sooooo working on being mindful and present and enjoying the very moment I am living, because the awareness definitely hit me not too long ago that This Moment IS My Life. And I am missing it because I’m always waiting (or thinking about!) the next thing…

6. Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Oh, I didn’t see this until just now. I must have been channeling you somehow when I was writing today’s post over the weekend. 🙂

7. Posted February 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Great quotation Lindsey. And so true. Thanks for the reminder. 🙂

One Trackback

1. By | We Love Gratitude : Be Grateful on February 3, 2013 at 5:56 am

[…] From Lindsey: “This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the […]