I want to remember

I want to remember Whit’s still-wobbly handwriting, and the fact that he unabashedly wrote that he “loves me very much” for public consumption in his back to school night letter.

I want to remember that part of my run where, in late summer and early fall, I have to push through a thicket of cosmos which are growing out of the sidewalk around a pole.  I love that these flowers grow so insistently in the middle of an urban sidewalk, and I love the way they remind me of my grandmother.

I want to remember the way Grace looks, curled on her side, when I wake her up every morning.  Her eyelashes cast shadows on her cheeks, she still hugs her brown and yellow bears to her chest, and she looks so peaceful.  When I wake her up she always smiles slowly and stretches her arms over her head before saying “Good morning, Mummy!”

I want to remember the outrageous, lucid blue of the sky in the middle of September, the goosebumpy way September 11th is always gorgeously clear, just like 2001, and the beginnings of the flash of orange leaves in the trees on my street.

I want to remember the surge of joy I felt as I watched Grace streak across the soccer field at her first practice this fall.  I was worried about how she would feel, returning, after her broken collarbone.  I need not have worried.

I want to remember the weekend afternoons when Grace and Whit sit on either side of me in bed, the three of us in companionable silence, reading.  When my company, and a book, satisfies them utterly.

I want to remember this golden moment, these ever-taller, lankier children who still carry echoes of the babies they were, the peace-sign and robot-patterned backpacks, the floating sound of lullabyes from the rooms of sleeping children, right now.

Inspired by Ali Edwards‘ beautiful post on this theme.  What do you want to remember?

1. Posted September 24, 2012 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Oh this is gorgeous. Might have to do one of these. xox

2. Posted September 24, 2012 at 5:12 am | Permalink

Lovely. Just lovely. Thank you.

3. Posted September 24, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

“…the goosebumpy way September 11th is always gorgeously clear, just like 2001…”

Every clear blue, beautiful September morning sends this thought through my head, with prayers for peace. And then I can enjoy the incredible beauty of this month.

4. Sara
    Posted September 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

So beautiful. Your writing is exquisite. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

5. Posted September 25, 2012 at 7:47 am | Permalink

This is so beautiful. I find myself feeling, lately, that my children are growing so quickly, moving away, and I lament the things I’ve already forgotten, the moments I let pass too easily, the times I could have done better.

6. Posted September 25, 2012 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Beautiful Lindsey! Your words inspire my own gratitude which has been lackluster lately. Thank you!!

7. Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

So moving Lindsey, that I had to try it myself. What a wonderful way to stop and look at what IS right now. Thank you for the inspiration!

8. Posted September 25, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

This is lovely, Lindsey. Thank you for your words and for reminding me to remember. I’m going try it, as well!

Warmly,
    Kate

9. Posted September 25, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

So vivid. So gorgeous. Thank you for sharing these moments.

10. Posted September 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this–just the type of inspiration I’m in need of. xo

3 Trackbacks

1. By I Want to Remember « Walking on My Hands on September 26, 2012 at 3:37 am

[…] was inspired by Lindsey Mead Russell’s writing prompt “I Want to Remember”  who was inspired by Ali Edward’s. To read Katrina Kenison’s, click […]

2. […] was inspired by Lindsey Mead Russell’s writing prompt “I Want to Remember” who was inspired by Ali Edward’s. To read Katrina Kenison’s, […]

3. By Nourished Mom » I Want to Remember on September 16, 2013 at 6:50 am

[…] This post was inspired by something I discovered recently in the archives of Katrina Kenison’s beautiful blog; the inspiration for Katrina’s post happened to come from another one of my favorite bloggers, Lindsey Mead.  […]