The end of an era

My grandfather

May 10, 1918 – August 23, 2012

There aren’t words to convey how proud and honored I am to be your granddaughter.  I will forever be grateful for the privilege of sharing your very last P-Rade, which you walked from start to finish, celebrating your 71st reunion at a place you loved so dearly.

1. Posted August 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

So sorry for your loss, Lindsey.
    From the pictures, I’d guess that your grandfather lived a full and robust life and was very loved. How wonderful that you had that time to share with him and a special relationship – and for your children, too. Magical.

XO

2. Posted August 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

3. Posted August 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful memory Lindsey. I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking about you and your family tonight.

4. Sarah
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

(((Lindsey))) So glad I got to see him at the last two Thanksgivings.
    love,
    S

5. Robert
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Sorry for your loss Lindsey. He was very sprightly for a 94 year old. And it is so sweet you called him ‘Pops’.

Regards,

Rob

6. Posted August 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Oh love. I know that your heart is both full and heavy. Sending love to you and yours. xoxo

7. Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

So very sorry Lindsey. I’m glad you have the wealthy of memories.

8. Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

“wealth” of memories (sorry for the typo)

9. Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Beautiful photos of the generations — to cherish these memories is to honor your grandfather’s long, good life. May we all be so blessed. Sending love to you and yours.

10. Posted August 23, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Now that’s a life well lived. Give Grace and Whit an extra hug from all of us.

11. Posted August 24, 2012 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Big love to you and all who knew and loved your grandfather. xx

12. Margaret
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Oh Lindsey I’m so sorry. It was so hard for me when my grandparents died, each one. My Exeter-Princeton graduate grandfather was an extremely special person indeed, and I immediately burst into tears upon seeing your post just now. But I know you will all have a celebration of his extraordinary life and rejoice in being all together and feeling so blessed and lucky for all that as you do so. My deepest condolences, and my thoughts and prayers full of love are going out to you and your family. xo

13. Posted August 24, 2012 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Lindsey, my thoughts are with you and your family. Your grandfather lived an extraordinary life. How blessed you all were to have him in your lives as long as you did 🙂

14. Posted August 24, 2012 at 8:19 am | Permalink

So sorry for your loss, my friend. What wonderful photos and memories.

15. Posted August 24, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I’m sorry for your loss, Lindsey. I think I mentioned that my last grandparent died right before Abra was born. Loss always seems to come on the heels of new beginnings, but it doesn’t make any of it easier. Love to you.

16. jj
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

May we all be so blessed to live such long, full lives. Thinking of you and yours at this sad time.

17. Posted August 24, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Lindsey – I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t help but comment, though, that in looking at the pictures from the most recent P-rade I was struck by how lucky Grace and Whit are to have known your grandfather. I only ever had one set of grandparents, and never knew any of my great-grandparents. They may not realize it now, but someday your kids will be so thankful to have known this man who meant so much to you.

Take care of yourself during this time.

18. Posted August 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

So sorry for you loss Lindsey. Sending you and your family loving thoughts as you celebrate the memories and mourn the loss. Take care of yourself!

19. Posted August 24, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

My condolences to you and your Lindsey. In the photos he looks like he was a very happy man. May he rest in peace.

20. Posted August 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Lindsey: So sorry for your loss. Sending you and yours strength during this time.

21. Posted August 25, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

It’s a strange feeling, isn’t it, when they are all gone? I think of mine all the time.

22. Posted August 26, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

So sorry for you loss, but your post is an incredible tribute to someone who appears to have been an amazing man and role model.

23. Posted August 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Oh, So sorry for your loss! Alums like your grandfather are what make the P-rade so special. Can only imagine what a wonderfull grandfather he must have been.

24. Posted August 28, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

So sorry for your loss, Lindsey. Beautiful post and pictures too.

25. Posted August 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Hugs to you.

26. Betsey
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:03 am | Permalink

I’m so sorry for your loss, Lindsey.

27. Posted September 25, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing. I am sure that he is joining in a locomotive as we speak:)