Birthday

Today is my birthday, but really it should be my mother’s day.  On August 16, 1974, she was born as a mother just as surely as I was born as a human.  I was three weeks premature, and I’ve been in a hurry and chronically early ever since.  She was in the middle of cooking for a dinner party when she went into labor, and she’s been the life of the party and everybody’s favorite hostess ever since.

I love you, Mum.  Thank you for being my most important role model in this, the most important role of my life.

Email this post Email this post

1. Posted August 16, 2012 at 1:55 am | Permalink

happy birthday,

i so hope the new year, and all the ones to come after, keep getting better and better for you

2. Posted August 16, 2012 at 6:26 am | Permalink

happy happy birthday to you, lindsey…mama, artist, wise teacher. may your year be soaked with magic, grace, pleasure and ease.

3. Posted August 16, 2012 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Yes! I’ve often thought that the mother ought to be honored in some way on her child’s birthday. How lovely you did that here. Hope you have a happy birthday!

4. Nicci
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 6:57 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday, Lindsey. May this next year be full of wonder and beauty! xo

5. Posted August 16, 2012 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday, Lindsey! Such a great photo of you and your mom (reading, of course!). I, too, was born three weeks early (although I was induced), and have since been in a hurry to do everything! I also think that, when you have children, their birthdays start to mean something more than your own.

6. Posted August 16, 2012 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday Lindsey! May your day be filled with good unexpected surprises.

7. Carolyn
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays dear Lindsey :)!!
    Love,
    Carolyn

8. Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Happy birthday! I’m always reminded that we share the same birth year.

9. Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Happy birthday to you, dear one-
    May this trip around the sun be full of joy and deep resonance with what surrounds you. xoxo, a

10. Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:39 am | Permalink

so poetic. so true–I often think of mother’s on their kid’s birthdays. and you in this photo–heart-smashingly adorable. xoxoxo

11. Posted August 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday! Hope your day is lovely!

12. Posted August 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday, Lindsey! I hope the year is filled with beautiful memories, riveting conversations, new books, and hugs. Many, many hugs.

13. Carey
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I am all the ages I have ever been. –Madeleine L’Engle

Happy Birthday to my fellow Leo!

Wishing you joy in the year ahead…enjoy the journey and your many gifts.

xo

Carey

14. Posted August 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Happy Day, Happy Year, Happy Life! To you and and your wonderful mother as well…

15. Haile
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday! Notable that on your own birthday the post has nothing to do with the passing of time…?!

16. Robert
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday Lindsey. Have a fantastic day and a fabulous year. And thank you for sharing you most precious moments with us.

Regards,