Life has not forgotten you

So don’t be frightened, dear friend, if a sadness confronts you larger than any you have ever known, casting its shadow over all you do. You must think that something is happening within you, and remember that life has not forgotten you; it holds you in its hand and will not let you fall. Why would you want to exclude from your life any uneasiness, any pain, any depression, since you don’t know what work they are accomplishing within you?

– Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Once again, from the beautiful blog A Year with Rilke

1. Posted November 4, 2011 at 6:51 am | Permalink

oh lindsey, thank you for this. feeling the shadow of sadness today. and hoping/trusting that is it ‘accomplishing something in me’.

2. Posted November 4, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

It isn’t *quite* sadness…but something else equally uncomfortable. This is a nice reminder. Because sometimes I forget that canyons are being carved inside me.

3. Ari
    Posted November 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Yes, I love this one a lot.

4. Posted November 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

A really good question.

Thanks!

5. Posted November 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

I just bought this book recently. Haven’t read it yet, or anything by Rilke actually. I’m really excited to do so now! Thanks for sharing Lindsey!

6. Posted November 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

I’m a fan of Rilke, but haven’t read his work in quite a while. It’s lovely to have the chance to get reacquainted with it.

7. Posted November 5, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Thank you for re-acquainting me with this lovely from Rilke. It weaves in nicely with some written ruminating I was doing earlier today about the difference in hope and keeping vigil. Kinda’ closes a gap for me.

8. Posted November 7, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Holy moly, did I need to read this today. xoxo