I’m not altogether as heavy as I may sometimes appear here. Well, I am, but I have other sides too. One that I don’t talk about much is my sideline interest in all things fashion-related. I read, as I’ve mentioned, 30+ magazines a month (that list is a little out of date, but the total number remains similar). In my Google reader, alongside the blogs by writers and thinkers and coaches and poets are several that focus on style and fashion. I need to try to lighten up my recent dark mood. So, some recent observations on this happy-making topic:
This is mostly what I use pinterest for, incidentally: a place to record my thoughts on style.
I’m currently obsessed with the following:
- MiH jeans
- Red patent leather heels that are – ahem, strumpet shoes (Kathryn has observed)
- Emerson Made
- Gray jeans, by my old standby, J Brand (currently challenged by the new jean on the block)
- J Crew cashmere
- Diane von Furstenberg dresses – for work, for cocktails, for everything, all the time
- My black Juicy Couture sweatpants that I admit I live in
Things I must find:
- A long gold tassel necklace
- A perfect pair of not-too-high, pointy-toe black pumps
- A white tuxedo jacket
The summer between my two years in business school I worked as a buyer at Bloomingdale’s. If Matt hadn’t moved to Boston that second year, I would have entered a career in retail. Turning down those offers, giving up that dream, was hard for me. Who knows where that would have led. Obviously I can’t know. But the interest goes way back. At Bloomingdale’s we used to joke about “buying clothes for a life we don’t have.” I think of that now when I buy cocktail dresses. I love cocktail dresses. They are definitely the thing I buy too many of, just because I love them.
What do you buy multiples of? Who is your favorite designer? Any current obsessions? Tell me, I really want to know, and I’m trying to cheer myself up!!
Get Lindsey's thoughts on mindful living and parenting in your inbox