Eleven years

Eleven years ago, we were married.

In a thunderstorm so loud we had to pause during the vows.

Accompanied by two readings: an excerpt from The Book of Qualities and Cavafy’s Ithaka.

By a minister from East Greenwich, RI, who was dear to my maternal grandparents, especially my grandmother who had recently died.

In the presence of three siblings, four parents, four grandparents, and most of our very best friends.

I wore my mother’s veil, my deceased grandmother’s wedding ring (my only grandparent not in physical attendance, though I swear she sent the thunder), a ponytail, and pieces of blue ribbon that my closest friends had written messages on sewn around the hem of my dress.

And we embarked on a ride which has been nothing like we expected, but full nonetheless of startling joys.  As the minister said, during the wedding, Kilimanjaro is nothing compared to this.  And it isn’t.  But the views are better here, too.

1. Posted September 9, 2011 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Happy Anniversary Lindsey! This is a wonderful reminder to all those who fret bad weather on their special day that it truly doesnt matter.

2. Posted September 9, 2011 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Happy anniversary! I love the picture 🙂

xo

3. Posted September 9, 2011 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Congratulations on 11 years. That is wonderful!

4. Posted September 9, 2011 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Your posts so often give me chills. This one was no exception. Lovely post, lovely photo. (Sounds like a lovely wedding.) Happy 11th!

5. Posted September 9, 2011 at 6:54 am | Permalink

What a wonderful photo! It epitomizes marriage. Happy Anniversary!!!

6. Posted September 9, 2011 at 6:59 am | Permalink

happy anniversary. feel your love…

7. Posted September 9, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Happy anniversary, love!!

8. Amy
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Beautiful. Happy anniversary!

9. Posted September 9, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Happy anniversary. Hope it’s wonderful.

10. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Such a sweet picture — and the perfect words to go with it. Happy Anniversary, Lindsey!

11. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Happy 11th, in 2011 – very cool!

Thanks for the lovely words…

12. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:28 am | Permalink

A very happy anniversary to you both! What a lovely photo. And what a fantastic achievement. x

13. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:30 am | Permalink

So elegant and eloquent, just like you. Happy day to you both. Congratulations.

14. Tracy
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Aw. Love the ponytail. And the pic. and 9/9, which is my hubs bday, a good day. Congrats.

15. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:44 am | Permalink

What an utterly gorgeous photo and post. The Book of QUalities has been my absolute favorite since my college years! Happy Anniversary!

16. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Great photo, great closing line. I wore some special things, too. My best friends put together my “something old, something new…” I wore pins in my hair and a bracelet on my wrist from one friend’s wedding, which was unexpected and special. Happy Anniversary!

17. Connie
    Posted September 9, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Happy Anniversary!!! I remember your wedding, and that storm, so well. I also remember sitting in the airport stuck somewhere between Philly and San Fran when you told me of your engagement. It’s amazing how the time passes, and how much happens in that span of time. Miss you and thinking of you and Matt today. xo

18. Posted September 9, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Happy anniversary! Life is better then what we expected. Thunder and all.

19. Posted September 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Love that photo. And another thing we share–our anniversary is 3 days away on the 12th. xoxo

20. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Happy Anniversary!!! I love thinking about the blue ribbon sewn into the hem of your dress. The photo is so wonderful.

21. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Happy Anniversary! I love that picture.

22. Posted September 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Happy Anniversary to you both—I came to Cavafy through Durrell and “The Alexandria Quartet,” very haunting. Here’s to wishing you all the best and that your journey proves all that Cavafy’s journey to “Ithaka” promises.

23. Posted September 9, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Lovely – happy anniversary. I love that you had pieces of blue ribbon with messages written on them. That is such an interesting and lovely idea.

24. Posted September 11, 2011 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Happy anniversary. And to many more…

25. Posted September 11, 2011 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Goosebumps. Happy anniversary, dear friend. I adore the parallels drawn to Kilimanjaro, and the last line of this post is exquisite. xoxo

26. Ramona
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

belated good wishes to you.

27. Posted September 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

This is a stunning tribute my friend. Congratulations to both of you!